Schwarzbein Principle Overview
Often compared to the Atkins Diet, the Schwarzbein Principle is a low-carbohydrate/ high- protein plan that aims to provide a total body ‘healing’ effect.
As explained on the lengthy official website, the diet was developed by Dr. Diana Schwarzbein through her extensive work with diabetic patients. She then went on to write two books on her Principles, open the Schwarzbein Institute and develop a range of exercise equipment and dietary supplements.
The website is very detailed but unfortunately is designed in a way that does not make it inviting to read. One good feature of the site however, is its use of videos featuring Dr. Schwarzbein from shows she has appeared on and answering the queries in the FAQ section.
Schwarzbein’s two ‘Principle’ books can be ordered from the online ‘store’, as can the Schwarzbein Principle cookbooks which feature recommended diet plan recipes, the supplement range and exercise tools. The site has information about the Institute and has handy downloadable pages such as a food/ mood/ exercise sheet and list of Schwarzbein recommended food brands and products.
Schwarzbein Principle – Product Description
Diana Schwarzbein believes that ageing and degenerative disease is not genetic, but acquired through poor health habits. She maintains that weight loss, overall health and well being can be obtained by following five basic principles – healthy nutrition (not skipping meals, enjoying nutritious snacks, eating healthy fats), stress management (including adequate sleep), avoidance of toxins (including caffeine, nicotine and artificial sweeteners), regular exercise and hormone replacement therapy (if required).
Although there is a good amount of information on the site explaining the diet’s fundamentals, one would have to purchase the books in order to fully be able to practise the diet, as no menu plans, food lists or shopping guides are provided.
In addition to the diet plan, Dr. Schwarzbein offers a range of personal consultations and lectures. An example of this would be an option that includes a one hour phone consultation with Schwarzbein herself, followed by one hour with a dietician at a cost of $625.00.
Schwarzbein Principle Advantage
- Dr. Schwarzbein is an experienced professional who developed her plan through years of research
- The diet can be adapted to suit vegetarians
- The diet is easily explained using the five principles
- The diet addresses all aspects of health as opposed to only weight loss
- The plan includes a regular exercise routine
- The plan requires no initial fees for membership or subscription
- The website provides downloadable worksheets and information
Schwarzbein Principle – Drawbacks
- The diet has not received good independent consumer reviews
- Some of Schwarzbein recommendations (HRT, higher amounts of protein and fats) are controversial
- The diet is very similar to the Atkins diet
- Some consumers reported gaining weight whilst following the plan
- There is no indication as to the length of the plan or expected weight loss
Schwarzbein Principle – The Bottom Line
Just as with many other diet plans on the market, the Schwarzbein Principle is simple common sense, presented as a ‘unique’ or revolutionary breakthrough. It would certainly be beneficial to follow some of the principles outlined in the book although some may be easier said than done i.e. relieving stress, getting more sleep, exercising more often.
It would be more advisable for any consumer considering this diet to discuss it with their own G.P. beforehand, or maybe opt for a plan that is more popular amongst online diet forum users.